Everyone with uneven or protruded teeth wants their teeth realigned, but not everyone is okay with using metal braces. If you fall in the latter category, Invisalign is the best choice for you. Invisalign is not only more convenient, but a less painful option too. Unlike their traditional counterparts, Invisalign braces are easier to wear, and suit both teens and adults.
How does Invisalign treatment work?
Invisalign braces are crystal clear aligners that help quickly straighten your teeth. These are clear plastic aligners molded to your teeth’s shape.
In this kind of orthodontic treatment, you need to wear each of your aligners daily for a fixed time period. It helps properly reposition your teeth.
Once you have used your aligners for a specified time period, your orthodontist provides you with a new aligner that could help further position your teeth where it should be. The whole procedure goes about for a few months.
Since every patient’s dental needs are unique, there is no definite duration as to how long the Invisalign treatment will take and no definite number as to how many aligners you will need.
To make it easy for you to begin and get the best Invisalign results, we have listed down some tips that will guide you throughout:
- Though you can easily remove your Invisalign trays at any time, it is recommended that you always wear these for as much time as possible, especially on the first two days. Failing which, you may lose track of your treatment schedule.
- Also, take note of your daily wear time, which should not be less than 20-22 hours.
- You must become used to wearing your teeth aligners, even if it doesn’t feel right at first. The fact of the matter is that it won’t. You may feel them rubbing against your teeth. But don’t worry, because it doesn’t hurt.
- At first, your Invisalign braces may affect your speech. Speaking with a lisp is a common phenomenon in Invisalign. However, you must still talk with your braces on, to be able to speak fluently.
- Regularly cleaning your aligner trays is a must. Use antibacterial soap and avoid using toothpaste to clean it, as it will only give way to more bacteria. Your at-home oral hygiene game should be high and you must store your aligners safely.
- A good way to keep aligners clean is to remove them when eating or taking a beverage.
- Don’t forget to change your aligners from time to time and in an orderly manner. It helps quicken your treatment time and make real progress.
- With Invisalign, you may produce extra saliva which tends to dehydrate you. Make sure you drink enough water, even if it feels different during the start.
- Flossing every day is important. Otherwise, gunk stays between your teeth that prevents saliva from doing what it does.
- A whitening toothpaste helps by leaving its remnants on your teeth. Also, your teeth aligners do not allow your saliva to remove these remnants and rather hold these against your teeth.
- Lastly, wearing your retainer is important. If you don’t, you may lose track with your progress so far.
Parents and teens can have their queries for Invisalign answered by an orthodontist prior to starting the treatment. To achieve your desired Invisalign results, you must be open to the initial discomfort the treatment causes. Also, putting complete effort is inevitable in keeping your Invisalign braces in place and in good hygiene at all times.
Dr. is an orthodontist and Ivy League trained dentist who has served as a faculty at Columbia University. He believes a perfect smile not only makes a person look great but feel great. As the founder of Putnam Orthodontics and a Partner at Rome Orthodontics, he is dedicated to providing the best orthodontic treatments to his patients. He also writes to educate people about everything orthodontics and the importance of correctly aligned teeth along with good oral health. In his free time, you can find him golfing, doing yoga or surfing, and spending time with this family.